Wednesday, May 23, 2007

Gary Louris solo album news




Gary Louris recently posted this on the Jayhawks Fanpage message board:


I just finished my solo record.....It was recorded pretty much live.....drums, bass, keyboards, pedal steel, my lead vocals and acoustic guitar all live in 8 days.. six days of miscellaneous backup vocals and candy....mixed in nine days...recorded at Sage and Sound in LA (the same studio we recorded the Olson/Louris record) with Chris Robinson as producer, engineer and co-producer Thom Monahan (Espers/Vetiver/Bright Black Morning Light/Devendra Banhardt)...the band:

Drums/Perc: Otto Hauser (Vetiver/Espers/ and many more)
Bass/ Gtr: Jonathan Wilson ( of Jonathan Wilson, host of the legendary Laurel Canyon jams...thanks Lady D.!)
Pedal Steel Guitar: Josh Grange (Dwight Yoakum/ Creekdippers!!)
Keyboards: Adam MacDougal (Macey Gray/etc.)

Laurel Canyon Family Choir:
Jenny Lewis
The Chapin Sisters
Jonathan Rice
Chris Robinson
Jonathan Wilson
Farmer Dave (late of Beachwood Sparks)
Andy Cabic (Vetiver)
Suzanna Hoffs

It was a dream of a session, which was following on the heels of the dream session we had on the Louris/Olson record. Mark was out of the country for most of my session and we were so ahead of schedule that we were done before we could get Mark in there for a guest appearance....There is definitely something happening out in LA...a groundswell of musicians mingling and making music, centered around the soon to be legendary Wednesday night jams in Laurel Canyon....I feel like I made friends for life with this scene and will be using most of this band or others involved in this scene on my tours....it is feeling like 1970 all over again out there...you can almost touch "it" and it is really an honor to be a part of it..

Release dates? I know everyone is wondering...here is the scoop. Both and let me stress BOTH sides of the Olson/Louris camp feel it is important for Mark's solo record and my solo record precedes the OL record so as to keep the waters clear....I know I know...label politics, but it is their money and after some hemming and hawing everyone sees the logic I suppose....as Mark said: "The important thing is that we made this record and didn't wait" and I agree...I hope that my record will come out this fall and the OL record will follow early next year....please be patient with us....I assure you that it will all be worth the wait...hang in there fanpagers!! We have not forgotten you.

Gary

No comments: